The City of Mansfield, TX is hiring a Museum Education and Engagement Specialist. To apply, go to https://www.mansfieldtexas.gov/332/Job-Opportunities.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule occasionally including some evenings and weekends.
Working under the supervision of the Museum Manager, the Education and Engagement Specialist is responsible for making the collection and exhibits accessible to visitors and local residents of all ages while promoting local history through planning and implementing programs at the Mansfield Historical Museum, the Man House Museum, and in the community.
EXAMPLES OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED:
• Plan, develop, implement, promote and evaluate public programs and special events at both museums for all ages.
• Coordinate projects and programs with local organizations including schools, homeschools and other local agencies.
• Assist with marketing and promotional information including printed materials, museum website and social media presence.
• Create and maintain program educational materials.
• Assist with the updating and development of new exhibits.
• Prepare and recommend annual budget requests, cost estimates and justifications for needed supplies.
• Serves as point of contact for museum visitors.
• Provides quality customer service and safety of visitors at both museums.
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contact a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of historical education programs.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to adjust teaching methods and styles to accommodate different audiences.
• Enthusiasm for learning and teaching about local history.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in History, Education, Anthropology or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Two years of experience working in a museum or in a classroom setting.
DESIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
• One year of experience in museum studies
• Willingness to continue training and education in museum methods.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS:
1. The physical activity of this position
• Climbing. Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
• Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time.
• Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
• Lifting. Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
• Fingering. Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
• Grasping. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
• Feeling. Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
• Talking. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Hearing. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
• Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
2. The physical requirements of this position
• Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
3. The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception, and field vision.
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
4. The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position
• None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES
The City of Mansfield complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and it is our policy to ensure that no person is discriminated against based on their disability. The City of Mansfield offers equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals and strictly prohibits the discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability. The City of Mansfield shall provide reasonable accommodates to applicants and employees who are otherwise qualified to perform the essential job duties when doing so does not create an undue hardship for the city.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Mansfield provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. The City of Mansfield is mandated by federal law to provide a drug-free working environment for the safety of its employees and the public. All employment is contingent upon passing a post-offer employment drug test and /or physical.
For more information, or to apply for the position, go to https://www.mansfieldtexas.gov/332/Job-Opportunities.
MPMA: A 10-State Regional Museum Association
Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming
1540 Yakima Drive | Colorado Springs, CO 80915T: 440-812-7221
| www.mpma.net | firstname.lastname@example.org
All content © 2002-2016 Mountain-Plains Museums Association (MPMA)