Museum Manager (Collections)
Salary: $60,880.56 - $87,160.94 Annually
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Job Type: Full-time Regular
Department: Quality of Life
Job Number: D037 03-23 SS
Closing: 4/3/2023 12:00 AM Mountain
Nature of Work:
Manages the daily operations and planning for a City Museum; assures proper planning and management of exhibits and programs, and assures the museum facility is clean and accessible, and the exhibits and programs are engaging and educational.
Work Situation Factors:
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policy.
Work is performed in a standard office environment and museum facilities.
Light physical demands; mostly desk work, some light lifting. Frequent use of a personal computer.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET ALL THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
This position is graded at RX20
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, manages and coordinates the daily operations of a City Museum; plans and directs museum programs, activities and special events to serve the community; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; assures facility and activities are safe, attractive, engaging, educational and in compliance with all laws, policies, regulations and goals.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates staff; plans, prioritizes and assigns tasks; monitors work and evaluates staff performance; assures that staff maintains safe and aesthetically pleasing facilities, respond effectively to visitors, and adhere to policies and procedures for efficient and safe operations.
- Analyzes operations and recommends solutions, monitors budgets, expenditures and grants; researches, develops and evaluates new exhibits and programs; develops and manages outreach, publicity and marketing strategies; oversees facilities management and procurement activities in accordance with City policies; prepares monthly and quarterly reports that capture financial and operational information.
- Researches and develops grant funding opportunities or cultural programs, activities and special events; coordinates work with other municipal departments and community organizations.
- Evaluates existing programs for effectiveness, and recommend new programs or program changes; tracks services provided, monitors results, and generates operational reports as needed.
- Manages and monitors financial activities of assigned budgets to ensure compliance and meet performance targets and goals; oversees procurement activities for supplies, services, equipment, and other items to assure activities comply with established policies and processes.
- Reviews, maintains, and updates records in various formats, mediums, and automated systems to endure data integrity and adherence to internal controls, practices, and policies; evaluates programs, services, and activities to ensure customer and staff needs are met; demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless services.
- Responds to a resolves various complaints, issues, inquiries, and problems as authorized and in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Bachelor's Degree in humanities, liberal arts, art history, museum studies or related field AND four years public museum program management experience, including some supervisory experience. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Master's Degree is desirable.
Valid driver's license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Principles and practices or museum management; laws, ordinances, policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of museums, programs, and facilities; methods, practices and procedures for collection care, and management of exhibits and educational programs; purpose, use and benefits of museums & cultural program activities; legal liabilities and responsibilities for museums & cultural program services; principles and practices of effective employee supervision; business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications; City policies and procedures.
Access and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
Assuming management responsibilities and making appropriate decisions, while assuring compliance with department goals and objectives; developing recommendations for improvements for museum programs and facilities; grant management, research and application process; interpreting and applying City policies and procedures; effectively managing operations and delegating tasks and authority.
City of Las Cruces
P.O. Box 20000
Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88004