Salina Art Center is looking for a single-screen Cinema Manager who is excited and passionate about film, arts, and cultural programming relevant to diverse audiences. We believe we show movies that matter. The Art Center Cinema shows first-run independent, documentary, and foreign films and manages a robust schedule of one-off opportunities like Science on Screen® and Exhibition on Screen®.
The Cinema Manager will have general oversight of the operation of the Art Center Cinema and represent the Cinema to the community and its customers. The Cinema Manager is a pivotal leadership team member with significant hands-on, front-line responsibility for meeting our mission.
Candidates must possess strong customer service, time management, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, and problem-solving abilities. Applicants should be energized by service to patrons and must be passionate about arts and cultural programming, especially film. Customer service and management experience are preferred. Excel, Google Calendar, and PowerPoint skills are required. Experience with point-of-sale systems is desirable but not requisite. Training will be provided because, to carry out the roles and responsibilities listed below, the Cinema Manager will develop experience with Agile Ticketing database.
The Cinema Manager must work at the Art Center Cinema during business hours, including weekdays, weeknights, and weekends. The following job description identifies the core activities of the job. Job responsibilities may vary from time to time.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY FUNCTIONS
- Produce and manage cinema events, including in-person and virtual Q&As.
- Oversee all print traffic, coordinating, receiving, and testing film deliverables.
- Oversee POS system for ticketing, concessions, membership and merch.
- Input film info and showtimes onto the website, ticketing system, and online showtime systems.
- Oversee all accessibility accommodations.
- Maintain accurate records, including purchase orders, payments, space usage, ticket sales, permits, and insurance.
- Order supplies and maintain concessions inventory.
- Manage cinema spaces and equipment maintenance, including supervising cleaning, repairs, security, and health guidelines.
- Oversee guest relations to ensure panelists' and members' positive experiences respectively.
- Collaborate on events that involve both the Cinema and other rentable spaces.
- Build an understanding of our audience and community and collaborate with Art Center staff, cinema committee, and/or volunteers to select appropriate film and non-film entertainment programs.
- Oversee the recruiting, supervising, training, and evaluating of all paid and volunteer
- Direct the marketing of the theatre and special events working with marketing staff; includes obtaining sponsorship and partnership agreements for films.
- Partner with community groups to ensure the theatre maintains a reputation as a community-based entertainment center.
- Develop a broad working knowledge of the Cinema's key technologies (film projection systems, POS and IT systems, audio/visual equipment, etc.) and develop basic problem-solving skills related to all technologies and mechanics housed in the Cinema.
- Additional duties as assigned; must be willing to work weekends and evenings.
- Bachelor's degree required. A combination of practical experience and education will be strongly considered. Knowledge and experience in a customer service-oriented field and/or non-profit management preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years of management experience preferred, with a thorough understanding of event production, ideally including film festival experience.
- Strong technical aptitude and proficiencies.
- Exemplary customer service skills combined with persistence, patience, and empathy in working with various groups of people.
- Confidence, skill, and experience in leading teams and the ability to build and maintain a positive team dynamic;
- Self-driven with close attention to detail and deadlines and persistent follow-through;
- Emotional intelligence and the ability to work with a variety of team members, with an inclination towards collaboration with colleagues;
- Ability to innovate, think creatively, and problem-solve both proactively and in the moment;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a commitment to timely communication;
- Ability to set and meet strategic priorities with consideration to operational and human sustainability;
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with third-party representatives, including venue contacts and equipment suppliers.
$35,500 – $40,000
- Paid Vacation / PTO
- Health & Dental Insurance (50% pd by SAC)
- Life Insurance
- Simple IRA Retirement Plan (matching)
- Ten paid holidays
- Professional development benefit
- Free membership and additional perks for classes and Art Center events
ABOUT SALINA ART CENTER
The Salina Art Center, Inc. is a nonprofit, non-collecting contemporary art and education center incorporated in 1978 in Salina, Kansas, and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums since 1991. The Art Center's mission is "to create exchanges among art, artists, and audiences that reveal life." Programming is connected to a schedule of contemporary visual art exhibitions, including exhibition of film. Exhibitions serve as a catalyst for generating conversations around ideas and issues relevant to personal and community development. The Art Center carries out its mission through visiting artists, education, exhibition, film and video, and outreach programs designed to provide constituents with opportunities for meaningful experiences through active encounters with viewing and making visual art.
The Salina Art Center is located in historic downtown Salina, Kansas, and has a national reputation as an innovative, artist-supportive, and audience-responsive institution. Creative approaches to programming during the pandemic earned the organization recognition from leading regional and state funding organizations. The Art Center has three distinct facilities: the main location, which houses over 6,000 square feet of galleries and administrative offices; the Art Center Cinema, a ninety-two-seat theater for first-run independent, documentary, and international films; and the Warehouse, a 4,500 square feet education facility that also boasts living and working space for artists-in-residence.
Salina is a progressive city with a growing population of just under 50,000. Salina serves as the regional hub for medical services, retail trade, entertainment, and other unique attractions! The Art Center is a cornerstone of the city's robust cultural scene. A diverse economy and strong work ethic allow Salina to continually rank among Kansas' best in such areas as cost of living, regional trade, career opportunities, and personal income.
The Art Center is located in beautiful downtown Salina which recently underwent a $160 million renovation. The revitalization was the largest public / private partnership in Salina's history, and a testament to the support and engagement offered to cultural organizations and local businesses.
Visit https://www.imaginesalina.com to learn more about our community.
Visit https://www.salinaartcenter.org to learn more about our organization.